Think you’re too old to dress up for Halloween? Think again! All you have to worry about is narrowing down all the options and deciding what to be. Instead of going with an ill-fitting, store bought costume, try to get a little more creative and put together your own Halloween costume ideas like an original costume of your own that’s celebrity or icon inspired. There’s nothing worse than going to a Halloween party and running into 5 other girls in the same exact, skank-a-licious costume.
The stereotypical sexy Halloween costume has been done way too many times. Stand out this year by dressing up as your favorite style icon. Below we have put together a list of some of the best real-life and fictional style icons that are perfect Halloween costume ideas.
9 Halloween Costume Ideas Inspired By Celebrities Or Iconic Figures:
1. Barbie – Barbie is the ultimate style icon and has had hundreds of different looks since her debut in 1959. Everyone knows, or should now, that the original Barbie doll wore a strapless black and white bathing suit. Accessorize with black heels, gold-hoop earrings, and white cat-eye sunnies. Lastly, style your hair like Barbie with a 1950’s updo and bright red lips and nails.
Shop Our Favorite Barbie Halloween Costume Ideas Below:
2. Coco Chanel – For a classic, sophisticated look, dress up as famous couture designer Coco Chanel. All you’ll need is a tweed or black and white suit, pearls, tights, and a hat. Curl or pin your hair up if its long and think old Hollywood glamour when it comes to makeup. Do red lips, black eyeliner, and dramatic eyebrows.
3. Holly Golightly – Audrey Hepburn’s character in “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” is one of the most iconic roles of all time. Holly Golightly was fashion forward with her oversized black sunglasses, black sleeveless dress, and pearls. Style your hair in a chic updo and jeweled headpiece. Lastly, finish off your look with a long cigarette holder and black evening gloves.
4. Rachel Zoe – Everyone’s favorite celebrity-stylist turned designer, Rachel Zoe, has become a celebrity on her own. Wear her signature flared jeans, 5″ heels, and a faux-fur vest or jacket. Accessorize with oversized sunnies, a hat, and large handbag. And don’t forget some statement jewelry!
5. Cher Horowitz – “Clueless” definitely made an impact in the 1990’s. Cher Horowitz’s fashion-forward style made her one of the most popular characters in teen movie history. She has so many looks to choose from, but her plaid yellow skirt and matching blazer is definitely a stand-0ut. Accessorize with knee-high socks, clunky shoes, and of course a 90’s cellphone.
6. Twiggy – British supermodel, Twiggy, is known for inspiring the 1960’s mod fashion movement. Her skinny build, blonde pixie haircut, and iconic false eyelashes were part of her signature look. All you’ll need is a simple shift dress and chunky jewelry. Focus on mod makeup with liquid eyeliner, false lashes (top and bottom!), sharply defined eye crease, blue eyeshadow, and pale lips. This is perfect for girls with short hair, which you can just simply slick to one side.
7. Margot Tenenbaum – Gwyneth Paltrow’s character, Margot Tenenbaum, is a cult favorite from the film “The Royal Tenenbaums” because of her unique style. To pull this look off, simply wear a striped shirt dress and fur coat. Straighten your hair and pin it to one side with a red hair clip. And you won’t want to skimp on the black eyeliner, as she is known for her raccoon eyes.
8. Jacqueline Kennedy – First Lady, Jacqueline Kennedy, set a new standard for fashion and beauty while in the White House and continues to inspire women today. For this costume, you’ll need some signature “Jackie O” oversized black sunglasses, a pill box hat, and a colored suit. Add some costume jewelry, gloves, and a structured handbag and you’ll be one of the best dressed at your costume party.
9. Anna Wintour – Editor-in-Chief of Vogue, Anna Wintour, is the closest thing we have to a real-life fashion police. Her intimidating style would make the perfect Halloween costume for any fashion lover. For this you’ll need a sandy-blonde bob wig, oversized sunglasses, a chic dress, and fur coat. Carry a copy of Vogue with and you’re set!